Patient Stories

Patient Stories

Witnesses request – Anyone who worked for Steel company , Margam Works, Port Talbot in early 1960’s in particular during the annual 2 week shutdown in summer or who worked with coke ovens.

Steve McQueen

Three Generations From One Family Wiped Out by Mesothelioma from Asbestos

In Wales Mr Terry Tobin of Newport, Gwent, has good reason to think about the consequences of mesothelioma due to asbestos exposure.

His wife, Dorothy Tobin died from mesothelioma on the 7th May 2005. Her only exposure to asbestos occurred when, as a child, she used to sit on her father’s lap in the 1950s when he came home at lunchtime from working at Newalls Insulation in Newport. She breathed in the fibres of  asbestos attached to his clothes.

Her father Jim Pottinger died in 1969 from an asbestos related disease, believed to be mesothelioma. Her brother Jack Pottinger also worked at Newalls. He died from mesothelioma in 1999.

Her sister Beryl, also suffered from an asbestos related disease. Her only contact with asbestos was also from her father’s clothing.

Robert Jefferson

Valerie Jefferson’s husband, Robert, was exposed to asbestos when he worked for an engineering company replacing boiler systems for the MoD. He was exposed to asbestos lagging in the early 1970s. In 2002 he was diagnosed with mesothelioma and died on the 14th June 2004. 

Helene Todd – died from cleaning overalls.